Companies have been using a variety of methods to limit the impact of the pandemic on their employees and their business. Many have been able to furlough or redeploy staff, while others have cut executive bonuses or implemented a four-day week. But, sadly, the list of companies announcing redundancies is still getting longer.
Many of the job cuts have been in retail and hospitality with the loss of some familiar high street names. That said, very few sectors have been completely immune from the economic impact of Covid-19 over the last 12 months and the economy has faced major cutbacks by employers as diverse as Accenture, HSBC, Rolls Royce and Boeing. 2021 has been another tough year, but there are ways that forward-thinking businesses can make an immediate and sustained difference to exiting employees with outplacement support.
In these times of extreme uncertainty, such support is vital. Remember, people are not just losing their income. For some, redundancy effects their whole identity, status and sense of self-worth; some even describe it as feeling like a kind of bereavement. And, pretty much everyone who experiences redundancy reports feelings of stress, anxiety or other mental health issues.
Outplacement services will take the pressure off your HR team
The demands on your HR teams will also be intense. They are expected to manage the process and to deliver redundancies in a calm and controlled manner. This is why it makes sense to have experienced partners on hand to alleviate the pressure and offer practical support in tangible ways.
Not only is it the right thing to do on a personal/human level, it also protects your brand and your reputation. Importantly, it fosters goodwill among those who remain. It’s essential they feel reassured about your commitment to employees’ health and wellbeing.
An outplacement provider will help you to give your employees the support they need
Partnering with an experienced and empathetic outplacement team brings immediate results. Most importantly, it makes things easier for your employees to find their next role – from giving advice on effective job searching strategies, identifying their transferable skills and revamping CVs to tailored training and interview coaching.
Five rock solid reasons to seek outplacement support
Demands are high on HR teams in many organisations to deliver redundancies in a calm and controlled manner, to manage the process and meet expectations. This is why it makes sense to have experienced partners on hand to alleviate the pressure and offer practical support in tangible ways. This is how your employees benefit:
- Timely intervention – having access to expert and results-driven help at the right time speeds up the process of searching for and successfully procuring a new role
- Boost in confidence – especially if some have been in the same role for many years and are not familiar with the rapidly changing and increasingly digital job market.
- Facilitating a change in direction – outplacement support opens opportunities for employees to pursue interests, commercialise hobbies and make it easier for them to follow a different path.
- No cost – this is free, professional support for them, which is a significant benefit at a time when loss of income is on their minds. It is also flexible and cost-effective – whether you are looking to support a few executives with bespoke coaching, or time-served workers who would benefit from a session on how technology has influenced modern job-hunting.
- Minimises negative feedback and poor reviews – good outplacement preserves the company culture at an unsettling time especially when remaining employees see that their colleagues are being treated well. You are demonstrating that you are a responsible employer and that you value your people – the relationship doesn’t end with a redundancy letter. Looking longer term, a strong employer brand is critical to attracting the best talent, and today more than ever, social reputation counts… and can be won or lost on social media and reviews like Glassdoor.
Professional, tailored support from back office to board level
At City CV, we offer outplacement services that flex to your needs. We take the time to understand your priorities and offer tailored programmes to suit your employees, including different ways of accessing services – group sessions, workshops, small meetings and video calls.
Our team of expert writers and coaches equip your employees with an impactful set of personal branding documents that capture and accentuate their strengths, skills and achievements in a way that appeals to modern recruiters.
For quick results, we use a strategic job search framework, supported by coaching and relevant digital tools including (but not limited to) career assessments, CV reviews, help with cover letters and job applications and writing memorable LinkedIn profiles. We also help your employees prepare for interviews with the right coaching as well as top tips and advice on transitioning to a new role or sector.
Get ahead of the game
If your organisation is anticipating redundancies, find out more about the outplacement support we offer.
From helping your people prepare an impressive CV to comprehensive career coaching, our specialist team take some of the stress away from this difficult time. Take a look at our Career Refinery which makes it easier to educate, engage and empower employees about their choices.
Whatever changes you’re facing in your organisation, we are here to help. Call us today on +44 (0)20 7100 6656 or get in touch for a confidential discussion about what we can do to support you.